Saturday, April 19, 2008
A Nerve Wracking Week
I learned this morning that my brother Chris had fallen off a roof at a job site late last evening. He fell about 10 ft. He was alone at the time that he fell, but fortunately there were some college guys outside in the house behind him, that saw him fall and called the paramedics. Thank the Lord for the guys that saw him fall! He's in pretty bad shape but good shape considering it could have been A LOT WORSE even fatal. He did hit his head but the severity of his injuries are in his arm. As the surgeon described it (from what I understand from my mom and his wife michelle), it looks like it exploded inside his arm. His arm is broken in three places. He had surgery today to put the plates in his elbow. They will have to rebuild it. He did hit his head but nothing more damaged there. Thank Heavens! There were several CT scans and MRI's to make sure. He's extremely uncomfortable and in a lot pain. He will be in the hospital at least until Tue or Wed at the earliest.
On a side note, I HATE University Hospitals. They are terrible at triage and cleanup. Apparently they didn't clean him up at all. They had trouble getting the neck, shoulder brace off. He didn't get that off till this afternoon even though the Dr's had cleared it okay to remove it. So he was EXTREMLEY uncomfortable from that. I know when I was thrown from a car 15yrs ago, I was sent to Las Vegas University Hospital. It was TERRIBLE! They didn't clean me up either, nor did they change my IV's as often as they should have or had the medication regulated like it should have. UGH!!
I know for the most part there are WONDERFUL nurses and Dr's - my other brother Shea is one of t hem in the Pediatric ICU at Primary Childrens Hospital in Salt Lake. In fact he graduates from school May 3rd. I am hoping to go up there on Wed. I may push it sooner with what's happened to Chris. We'll see what happens.
He won't ever be able to get a full swing back in his arm.Which is REALLY sad because he's an avid golfer!! It will be six months before he gains use of his arm again.
But the good news is... someone was looking out for him and something caught his fall! There is NO doubt in my mind.

On a side note, Carl took a fall on his shoulder. The bad shoulder. He lost his footing getting into the shower on Friday. He's been getting really independent and getting things done on his own, so it has been a good week. But some how he lost his footing or his balance and landed on his back in the tub. He too is very lucky, he didn't hit his head on the faucet he missed it by inches. He didn't scream, but I heard the crash. At 6:15am I didn't think my heart could get going that fast and that I could move that fast. But it's amazing what you can do on pure adreniline! Fortunately he too is okay. Just sore and his pride is hurt a little. He says he just feels silly more than anything. He says "I'm 34yrs old I shouldn't be falling getting in the shower! (No offense to anyone reading this who might be older!)

But life is full of little blessings if we choose to recognize them. Even in a crisis there are blessings to keep us going and to lift us up.
 
posted by mimiscraps at 5:34 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


At 6:40 PM, Blogger Becky

Tell Carl that he is not allowed to be 34 years old yet. If HE is 34, then that means that I am 34, because I am 19 days OLDER than he is! Tell him he has to remain 32 for the next month and a half, and then he has to be 33 for a whole year before he is allowed to be 34. ;-)

Sorry to hear about your brother. I KNOW those are scary times. Kevin broke his back in January and he's still slowly recovering.

Hope Carl's shoulder continues to improve.

When the heck are you coming to see us in Georgia??
:) Becky

 

At 7:05 AM, Blogger Kelly

I hope Chris will be ok. Sometimes the only way I hear about somethings with your family is through your blog here...or through chatting.